6 Tips for Your Next Ottawa Massage
How to Help Your RMT in Ottawa Help You Relax
I think we can all agree that after that long and cold winter we had in Ottawa, a massage is well overdue. All that shoveling and shivering makes our muscles contract, which can cause tension, stiffness and pain. One of the best ways to combat these aches and pains is through massage therapy. Whether it’s a 90 minute, a 60 minute, or a half hour Ottawa massage, here are a few ways to get the most out of your experience:
1. If you’re planning on exercising, do it before. Although it might seem like a massage is a great way to prep your muscles for a workout, it’s actually best to wait at least 12 to 24 hours before any strenuous exercise. After a massage, especially a deep tissue one, it’s important to give your muscles time to heal.
2. Don’t eat right before. Almost every RMT in Ottawa agrees that it is best not to eat for at least an hour before your massage so your body has adequate time to digest. Eating a big meal right before you go will not only make you feel uncomfortable, it can also contribute to muscle cramps throughout the massage. At the same time, nothing’s less relaxing than a growling stomach, so make sure you eat enough earlier in the day.
3. If possible, take a hot shower first. A warm shower can help prepare both the muscles and the mind for a relaxing Ottawa massage experience.
4. Arrive on time. Give yourself enough time to get to your appointment; rushing can leave you in a tense, frenzied state, which can spoil the relaxing experience.
5. Don’t be afraid to speak up. In order to get the most out of your Ottawa massage, it’s important to communicate with your registered massage therapist. Make sure to tell them about any special needs or health considerations, including any allergies or injuries. If you have any preferences, such as room temperature, music, or pressure, don’t be afraid to let the RMT in Ottawa know.
6. Hydrate after. During a massage your muscle tissue can become dehydrated. Your RMT in Ottawa will advise you to drink plenty of water after your massage in order to help rehydrate these muscles as well as to remove any metabolic waste that has accumulated.
Finally, don’t forget to relax! If at any point your mind begins to wander, focus on your breath and practice even, steady breathing. Being tense can cause your muscles to contract or harden, much like shivering, which can be counterproductive to your massage treatment. Keeping a relaxed mind and body will leave you with a healing, strengthening and reinvigorating Ottawa massage experience!